SeeTheFeelings.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SeeTheFeelings.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scientists, experts, proponets of global warming

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

crbrown1

For many years now I have heard experts argue over the facts about global warming. When global warming first hit the mainstream it seemed the experts were split on whether global warming was actually happening or not. Then, it seemed that experts agreed global warming was happening, but were split on whether or not man was the cause of the trend. I watched Al Gore lay down a very convincing explanation in support of a human created catastrophe. Slowly but surely sources were leaning towards the opinion that humans were the cause of global warming.

No matter what any expert said, my opinion never changed. I just couldn’t believe that this incredibly complex and gigantic-enormous planet, covered with 70% ocean, could be heated by human activities. I didn’t think we would be able to heat the planet, even by 1 degree, if we needed or wanted to. It seemed that only Michael Crichton and I were the only two left that believed global warming, if it was even occurring, was not caused by human activity. I decided to find out for myself once and for all.

Here is my research. If any of my calculations are wrong, or if my sources are wrong, please inform me. Keep in mind this is a very rough estimate, but hey it’s a big planet.

Total amount of oil consumed each year by the world.
30,516,555,000 barrels of oil (source)

Total amount of carbon in each barrel of oil
Approx. 1,000lbs of carbon per barrel. (sounds reasonable)

So, if we take all the oil that we consume each year and turned it directly into C02 we get 30,516,555,000,000 lbs a year (this is a gross overestimate considering we actually use most of the energy)

Total atmospheric mass is 5.1480×1018 kg or 11,325,600,000,000,000,000 lbs

So the amount of carbon produced by fossil fuels each year is .0000026944% of the total atmosphere weight.

The percentage of the atmosphere that is CO2 is .0384%

Now with that said, it would take 100 years of the current oil consumption rate to raise the percentage of carbon .0386% (fortunately we have only consumed this much a year for a short time period)

With all that being said it is slightly possible that based on my calculations our oil consumption could have very very minimal warming effect on our planet. I am not going to waste my time on radiative forcing because I believe there is virtually none due to relatively even distribution of CO2 emissions.

BUT… there are a lot of trees in the world. Just how many? 9,600,000,000 acres or 29.6% of the total land mass of the planet. (or just over Tree hundred and tree trillion total trees) lol (I would state the source but failed to write it in my notes and can’t find it again for the life of me. Seems reasonable though, if it is wrong, let me know)

Each acre of trees stores 5200lbs of carbon each year.

So trees consume 49,920,000,000,000lbs of carbon a year and
Humans produce 30,516,555,000,000lbs of carbon a year from fossil fuels.

I know this is a gross estimate but come on, the earth is HUGE. Repeat HUGE!!!!!

I am convinced that if global warming is happening, we can do absolutely nothing about it because it isn’t caused by us. Please correct me.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum